Car ignition coil and ignition coils pack
What is an ignition coil?
An ignition coil is a key component in the ignition system of the gasoline vehicles. It is designed to transform the battery's low voltage (12 volts) to the thousands of volts (40k volts) needed to create an electric spark in the spark plugs. This spark is used to ignite the air-fuel mixture in the combustion process of the engine.
Increasing demands for modern coils:
Demands for modern ignition coils are increasing due to the requirement of higher ignition voltage and owing to the restricted space in the engine compartment.
As one of the leading European Original Equipment (O.E.) suppliers of ignition coils, Valeo masters the various designs and offers a portfolio including all the ignition coils technologies available on the market: Wet Coils, Compact Coils (from 1 to 8 outputs), Pencil Coils, Top-plug Coils, Rail Coils.
By choosing Valeo, you get a complete range of Ignition coils offering the best technology.
Reasons to choose Valeo ignition coils
- A comprehensive offer covering all the technologies available on the market
- Easy to replace thanks to the O.E. exact fit design
- Best quality products to reduce fuel consumption, malfunction and damage
- Genuine technical support to help you service more efficiently
What is a pencil coil?
Designed to limit energy loss between the coil and the spark plugs, pencil coils operate without ignition leads. Pencil coils are designed to take advantage of restricted space and are typically found above spark plugs. In fact, their compact size enables them to fit directly into the spark plug hole. Pencil coils are suitable for 2 to 16 inline cylinder and V-type engines.
What is a rail coil?
A rail coil is an assembly of 2 or 4 ignition modules, in one single package. Rail coils simplify mounting operations and reduce material quantities. In case of damage on one ignition module, the entire rail needs to be changed. Rail coils are suitable for 3 to 16 inline cylinders and V-type engines. It is directly fitted onto the spark plug.
What is a compact coil?
- A compact (or multi-outlet) ignition coils provide one coil per two pairs of cylinders. E.g. 2 coils for 4-cylinder engines, 3 coils for 6-cylinder engines. and 4 for 8-cylinder engines and so on. Its design offers the highest energy density to enable mass reduction of up to 40% compared to the first generation of ignition coils.
- Suitable for 4 to 16 inline cylinders and V-type engines
- Replaces distributor
- Controlled by a module
- Fitting: ignition leads needed
What is a wet coil?
- A wet ignition coil is the first generation of coils that has been used on vehicles. Its name comes from the insulating resin used which was made with oil. It is always combined with a distributor and ignition leads are mandatory to connect the wet coil to the spark plugs and distributor.
- A very basic transformer
- 2 coils of wire, one inside the other
- Iron core
- Liquid filled for cooling/insulation
- Regular, ballast & electronic
- Output generally up to 18kv
Top plug coils
What is a top plug coil?
A top plug coil is designed to be used when space constraints prevent the use of pencil coils and when a high output energy coil is required. Top plugs are directly fitted onto the spark plug, the place available over the spark plug is useful to have very powerful coils with high spark energy. It is suitable for 2 to 16 inline cylinders and V-type engines.